Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Brass Wastes

"As you already know," I began, "The Brass Wastes are the dry desert that runs from the base of The Goblin Cliffs to the Sun Flare Mountains far in the west. Most of it is just a high sage desert, but some parts are actually flowing mountains of sand. There are occasional rivers, but they general flow along the bottom of deep caverns with sheer sides. To the north the desert gives way to more alpine hills on the east, and grassy plains further west beyond the Frost Mountains."

"To the south I think they continue into a sandstone desert that is much the same, but I have never been south of the road more than a days walk."

I looked shyly at Kib as I apologetically added, "Thats about it. Lots and lots of desert, horny toads, snakes, and occasional dragons."

I was expecting a dissapointed sigh fro Kib, but was shocked when his eyes lit up.

"Dragons!? You mean there are more out there?", he blasted for the whole yard to hear.

Diana and I looked around startled hoping that no one else had heard that. Then with one quick look at the hands I knew I had to down play the presence of more dragons.

"Weeeelllll..." I started, my mind grasping for a way to take it back. "Well... you see... " I knew I had to just dump the whole bomb on them.

"Okay, first of all do you know why the west mountains, out beyond the Brass Waste are called the Sun Flare Mountains?"

"Because of the sun flash that happens at sunset sometimes." Kib stated proudly.

"Yes." I encouraged. "but... do you know what that flash is?" I said slyly.

This time one of the hands responded shyly. "My pa says its a reflection off the ocean that is on the far side."

I was surprised that they even had a guess, let alone that is was partially right.

"You are partially right." I said with a little surprise still in my voice.

"The actual reason is that there is an ancient brass dragon that lives in those mountains." I paused just long enough for them to register understanding. "The dragon's name is Sun Flare, and those are his mountains." The simple logic showed in their faces immediately.

I decided to take a side track at this point to quell some of the thoughts that would occur to them later. "Sun Flare is a very old and very large dragon, but he is actually a very just dragon. And, if you actually have a chance to meet him face to face he is very pretty. He doesn't so much rule the Sun Flare Mountains, as he just scares away anything that brings injustice to the area." I caught the expected incredulous looks, but had to continue.

"Now Sun Flare has a girl friend, a lady dragon that also lives in those mountains, and together they have hatched a large brood of dragons over the last few decades. Some of those dragons are reaching the age to leave their parents care. Some of those are venturing out onto the Brass Wastes." I waited just long enough for their lips to begin to forming question when I launched once again: "...and part of the reason I know those dragons aren't here for blood is because I know their father, and he would not let them go marauding peaceful villages without provocation." I saw them all begin to breath a little freer, and took to time to put another plug in for leaving the dragons alone.

"So, you see, that is why we need to leave them alone. If they are left alone they will leave us alone, but if we were to attack them their father would not intervene, and they know it. They would be free to extract whatever justice they chose." With that mulling over in their heads I chose to finish the story and let them retire.

"The flash that you see occasionally is the sun reflected off the back of Sun Flare. On certain days, when the ocean is calm enough, Sun Flare can use the reflection off the ocean and the direct light of the sun together to create those flashes that can be seen as far away as the Halemin Mountains."

"Well, thats the whole story for tonight I'm afraid. I am off to bed." And with that I left them to think about it, hoping that the hands in particular would become evangelists for leaving the dragons in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment