Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Wash with Water

The swamp began to drain its excess water into the drainage wash this morning. Apparently this signals the beginning of the bug swarms. Between changing the water in the ditches and clearing furrows, we began taking turn patrolling the wash for colonies of bugs. I am told that by killing the bugs as soon as the water hatches the larvae we can reduce the bug swarms later in the summer to a more manageable density.

The last time I went down the wash I estimate that by dark it was flowing at about ten gallons per minute. If it continues to rise it could easily sustain another field or two. I would love to leave Diana with another field whether she 'needs' it or not. It would be great to have a rotation field to maintain the land for long term farming. I'll have to find a good time to explain the idea of crop rotation to Diana and Kib.

No comments:

Post a Comment