Sunday, July 4, 2010

Queen of the Fireworks

Yesterday was the greatest day of my life. I still cannot even believe it was real. Trish and her family were there. My parents just kept the little kids busy, and the whole neighborhood came down to watch as the gang and Trish and I went totally crazy with tanks, ground flowers, lady fingers, and best of all, bottle rockets.

As we started to set off smoke bombs and light the snakes, Trish and her family all came out with lawn chairs to watch. I invited Trish over, introduced myself and the gang, and gave her a box of snakes. As we all battled for the tallest, longest and fastest snake, she jumped right in and just squealed with delight when she would win.

We didn't have enough tank teams for her to have her own, but she just loved throwing lady fingers at them with me as we tried to knock the enemy tank off course. The flowers seemed to make her a little nervous, but when we finally lit off the tanks she was right there cheering. There is not really a win with the tanks, but it is really cool to watch.

This whole time my dad was down the street a little bit keeping the little kids totally enthralled with smoke and sparklers.

Then we broke out the bottle rockets and set up the paper target, and everyone came to watch. It was like a grand finale before the fireworks had even started. I tried to keep order in the competition, but it turned out that Trish had the real voice of authority. I think it was mostly that the gang was enchanted, and would just give her anything she wanted. It was awesome to watch as she nicely explained who's turn it was, and who had won the rounds. Even when she was in the competition round she just stated who she thought had won and nobody ever even questioned her.

For the final round it ended up being me and Jimmy; and Trish was definitely on my side, giving pointers and checking the wind. We actually lit a bunch of sparklers to outline the target for each shot. As each shot hit the target the entire neighborhood would let out a cheer.

It turned out that Jimmy won only because one of his exploded right on the target completely obliterating it. After the cheering for Jimmy's victory died down Trish put her hand on my shoulder and told me that she knew I was actually the better shot. He was just lucky.

After that I don't remember much. I think she went and sat with her parents while I set off the bulk of the fountains, whistlers, and other stuff. After the grand finale, which I had spiced up with some extra rockets and explosions, Trish came over and thanked me and my family. She said she had a lot of fun and everyone had enjoyed it.

That at least is what I think happened, but it is hard to tell where the night ended and the dreams began. If this is what drugs feel like, I can understand why it can be so tempting.

I spent about an hour cleaning up the trash this morning hoping Trish might come out, but no sign of her. I did see her at church a couple times, and she even smiled at me once. I wonder if she would like gaming with a group of dorky guys on Saturday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment