Monday, July 5, 2010

History and Geography

Tonight after supper the hands, Diana, Kib, and I were all sitting out on the porch. Kib started asking me what I knew of the castle and the capitol, the area between here and there, and lots of other details. After a couple short answers I offered to explain the history and geography of the Darkan Kingdom as far as I knew it. Because Diana was the only other person there that had ever been outside the general area of Greenhollow, they easily overrode my objections of getting to bed late, so I launched into what I do best, tell stories.

The Darkan family led a group of settlers across the Halemin Mountains to settle the valley now known as the Darkan Fields or just The Fields. Bordered on the east by the massive western wall of the mountains and on west by the Iron River, this region was great for farmland. It was in the hills on the north end of this area that the castle was built, and the capitol city grew up around the castle."

"West of the Iron River is a hilly land that rises and then falls toward the Frost River. For the most part this area is dominated by herds of sheep, cattle, goats, and pigs. This area rises to the Frost Mountains in the north and gradually slopes down to the point where the Iron and Frost rivers meet."

"Further to the west the land rises onto the plateau known as the Cedar Flats. The flats are this area where we are. It is heavily forested, and much more difficult to farm because the land must be cleared."

"As you know the plateau extend to the west and south to the Goblin Ridge where falls into the Brass Wastes to the west and the Black Swamp to the south."

"At some point the king built a road that runs due west from the castle to the edge of the Brass Waste. His reason was to provide a good road onto the Cedar Flats to open the area to settlements."

"The rest I think you know; your mother and father were a couple of the first brave souls to brave the highland flats, and this farm is the wonderful result. The Greenhollow Road was created as a shorter corridor through the south pass to Dusara."

"As far as me. I met your mom and dad back in the capitol city. When they got married I helped them move out here, and continued on west. I have only this spring returned."

"Where did go?", chimmed in Kib. "...and who lives out in the Brass Wastes? ...and how long were you out there?"

I just had to chuckle and beg off for tonight. "That is another story for another time my young inquisitor. There will be time for more stories before the harvest. Don't worry."

I can't say that he was satisfied, but Diana shoed us all off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment